Summary of Responsibilities
A tax manager will lead and manage multiple tax engagements to deliver quality tax services for our small business clients. This position offers excellent opportunities for leadership. Objective The Senior Accountant or Tax Manager will lead in the effective and efficient operations of the tax practice area. This practice area should reflect firm values: a quality process and outcome, IRS knowledge and compliance, excellent client communication that results in our firm’s reputation as a preferred partner in this area of service. This practice will be technology-driven and leadership is expected to identify best practices and consistently implement process improvements. Leadership for this practice area includes leading a team of individuals that will support this service and be competent in its delivery. This position reports to the Partners.
- Review and manage staff deliverables including tax returns, extensions, tax planning calculations, and write-up work for all entity types (C-Corp, S-Corp, Partnership, Fiduciary, Non Profit, gift, multi state and TX franchise).
- Review Compiled financial statements for Corporations, Not for Profit entities, Partnerships, and Individuals, including workpapers, accounting and adjusting entries, bank reconciliations, and client books and records. • Prepare and review complex tax planning projections for individual and corporate estimated tax liability.
- Manage and monitor client deliverables and due dates.
- Prepare complex U.S. and multi-state income tax returns for business entities, including consolidated and nonconsolidated C-corporations, S-Corporations, Partnerships, Fiduciary, and Non-Profit Organizations.
- Prepare complex U.S. and state individual income, gift tax, and estate tax returns.
- Conduct complex tax research and prepare memorandum outlining findings and conclusions.
- Respond to IRS and state agency audits, inquires, and tax notices. Communicate with IRS and clients in connection with audits, inquires, and tax notices.
- Delegate projects to staff that can handle them most efficiently and provide accounting and tax assistance to staff as needed.
- Communicate directly with existing clients, colleagues, management, and IRS representatives regarding various tax matters.
- Assist with business development efforts, including but not limited to, meeting with prospective clients, preparing fee quotes and proposals, and evaluating clients’ needs.
- Lead department in knowledge of software, processes, and workflows.
- Assist with employee training for new hires and ongoing employee training.
- Engage in consulting and special projects as requested by Management and Clients.
- Takes direction and reports to the Partners of the tax department.
- Prior experience in public accounting and tax
- Minimum of 2 years in competently reviewing tax returns
- Strong analytical skills
- Research proficiency
- Strong computer skills: proficiency preferred, but not required in Thompson Reuters and BNA 10
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented with ability to multi-task
- Well-rounded in dealing with high net worth individuals and businesses
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, or master’s degree in accounting.
Minimum of five years of experience preparing all types of tax returns with a public CPA firm or private company.
- Minimum of two years reviewing all types of tax returns and compiled financial statements with a public CPA
firm or private company.
Required Licenses, Certificates, or Knowledge
- CPA Certification required.
- Good oral and written communication
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Prosystem, and Adobe software.
- At minimum, must have sound knowledge of basic functionality of QuickBooks or equivalent accounting software